Hair color & extensions done by Strand Salon
I always feel so fresh and inspired coming back from New York Fashion Week — it’s a huge reason why I decide to go every season. I think it’s important for me to stay current on trends in all things fashion and beauty and then figure out ways to translate them for us everyday girls. It’s something that excites me, and I still pinch myself that I get to do this super cool job every single day.
This NYFW was no exception — I saw a few trends on and off the runway (street style is my favorite) that I knew I wanted to replicate when I got home. Exposed bobby pins are all the rage and they were in just about every runway show and presentation I saw! You used to want to try and hide all signs of bobby pins to make your updos look effortless… this is not the case for 2019. SHOW OFF THOSE PINS, girls! And, don’t even feel slightly bad about it. I actually noticed that stylists weren’t even using bobby pin colors that closely matched the hair, and INSTEAD, were using the opposite colors so you would be able to see the bobby pin against the hair color. I saw everything from this hairstyle — just lining a few bobby pins above the ear, to full on geometric patterns being created with bobby pins, extra large bobby pins, and even colorful bobby pins!
HOW TO RECREATE THIS HAIRSTYLE
- Start by taking a fine tooth comb and parting your hair directly down the middle.
- Lightly spray your roots with a light hold hairspray to tame flyaways and baby hairs.
- Brush one side of your part from root to ear. Make sure to follow your natural part. Mine isn’t sleek (like you can see here), so I left some hair out and tucked the rest behind my ear. Play around with this until you’re comfortable before adding the bobby pins.
- Take 3 bobby pins and place in equal distance away from each other. Make sure to place textured-side down with the flat part of the bobby pin should face up.
- Add a fun pair of statement earrings and a bold lip to complete the look!
SHOP THE TOOLS