Charlotte Tilbury Eyes to Mesmerise Cream Eyeshadow – Jean & Marie Antoinette
Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Color – Hot Cocoa
Charlotte Tilbury The Feline Flick Liquid Eyeliner – Black
It Cosmetics Superhero Elastic Stretch Volumizing Mascara – Black
This tutorial has been a LONG TIME coming and so many of you have been asking what I use on my eyes for eye shadow and how I use it without making a huge mess. In all honesty, I find powder eye shadow to be MUCH messier of a product and to get a smokey eye look takes a lot of blending — special blending tools and a lot of patience required. I actually used to AVOID using eye shadow at all costs because I couldn’t get it down — and if I tried, I would end up making my eyes look heavy, small, and then would end up looking like I had a black eye from the shadow falling under my eyes. Anyone else feel that struggle?!
I’ve heard from several makeup artists that eye shadow should be doing the opposite — if used correctly, it can make your eyes look MORE open, bigger, and make them pop overall. I started experimenting with the Laura Caviar sticks back in 2015 (after a collaboration for wedding makeup I worked on with the LM team) and was HOOKED. I regularly use Laura Mercier Caviar Stick in Rose Gold for an everyday look — even on days I’m going with minimal makeup. It helps me immediately look more awake and the touch of shimmer brings out the green in my hazel eyes, so it’s an everyday favorite. When I want to amp up my beauty look and go for more of a smokey look, I love using the below steps. This entire routine takes less than 3 minutes and is FOOL PROOF.
- After applying my foundation, I apply Charlotte Tilbury’s Eyes to Mesmerise Cream Eyeshadow in shade JEAN to my entire lid — lash line to eyebrow, making sure to get the inner corners of my eyes, as well to make them pop.
- I then blend Charlotte Tilbury’s Eyes to Mesmerise Cream Eyeshadow in shade Marie Antoinette across my lid, blending into the previous layer and focusing color on the outer corners.
- After waiting a minute for the above layer to start drying, I take Laura Mercier Caviar Stick in shade Cocoa and apply to the outer corners of each eye in a sideways “V” shape and use my finger to blend.
- I then use the same Laura Mercier Caviar Stick in shade Cocoa and apply a thin layer on my lower lashline. If the line is too dark/bold, I’ll blend with my finger for a smokey look.
- I apply a thin line above my lashes using Charlotte Tilbury’s The Feline Flick Liquid Eyeliner in black and slightly wing the outer corners to help my eyes appear more open.
- I finish the look by applying two coats of it Cosmetics Superhero Mascara in black to my lashes.
A few FAQs:
Do you need to use a eye shadow primer? I don’t all the time… but it couldn’t hurt! I find that the cream shadow tends to stay put more so than powder, but it’s another layer to add on and starts to feel like I’m wearing a lot of eye makeup (you know that heavy feeling). I do love this one by Urban Decay and tend to use it only for events/long days.
Do the products blend easily? I find both the cream shadows and sticks do blend VERY easily — I use my ring finger, just to make it as easy as possible, but you could definitely use a blending brush as well!
Does the product feel “wet” or does it dry? Both products go on with a creamy consistency, and you have a few minutes to blend the products together before they set and dry. Once dry, they feel like regular eye makeup!
Do they come off easily? I have no trouble removing my eye makeup at the end of the day, I just make sure to use remover specific for eye makeup! I love this one by Charlotte Tilbury and this one from Gariner which you can find in the drug store!
SHOP THE POST