I had received a TON of Instagram direct messages after I did both of my LIVES last week going over my skincare routines for both day and night! Your request was to have to live somewhere so you could follow along and have it as a place to refer back to! Instagram LIVE is so wonderful — it’s amazing to get to interact with you (you guessed it, LIVE), but… I totally forgot that the video we all worked so hard on wouldn’t save after 24 hours — I loved answering all your questions, too! In case you missed it OR are back here looking for some more info on what I showed you, I’m including my step-by-step routine for both daytime and nighttime along with all products used (and shades where applicable).
DAYTIME SKINCARE + MAKEUP
– I start off by splashing my face with water when I wake up and patting dry. I had mentioned this on Instagram LIVE, but I was told by my facialist that I had been over cleansing my skin (which was likely causing breakouts). Since I actually take off all my makeup and thoroughly wash my face the night before (more on that below), it’s an unneeded step that I was glad to remove from my routine.
– Instead, I spray about 4-5 pumps of SkinCeuticals Toner on a cotton pad and gently swipe all over my face. This step has been a game changer for me the last few months and helps my face feel nice and fresh (since we’re skipping the cleansing).
– After my face dries, I apply a few drops of the SkinCeuticals Blemish & Age Defense serum to where I’m most acne prone. For me, that’s usually my chin and jawline (damn, hormones) and sometimes my forehead (from working out).
– I then apply the SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic serum to my entire face (about 5 drops) and work into my neck.
– While that dries, I pat a little SkinCeuticals A.G.E Eye Complex under and around my eyes.
– Lastly, I always, always, ALWAYS finish my skincare routine with sunscreen. I wear SPF50 most days and absolutely LOVE the SkinCeuticals UV Defense that acts as a moisturizer under my makeup!
– I start my makeup routine by priming my skin for foundation and love using Smashbox Photo Finish in the summertime.
– I then apply my pressed powder foundation from Laura Geller (shade: Golden Medium) using my flat foundation brush. A little goes a long way with this foundation and I can usually get away with less face makeup in the summer — it’s just that summertime glow, you know?!
– Moving on to concealer, I always start with a little color correcting. I talked about this on LIVE a lot and it seemed it was a helpful tip for some of you! If you haven’t tried color correcting before, this is a great place to start. Basically, instead of just slapping on your concealer, you’re supposed to “color correct” the problem to boost what you’re concealer can do. To help coverup dark undereye circles and any post-blemish marks, you can color correct with a peach concealer which helps to cancel out purple and brown undertones. I love using Urban Decay’s Color Correct Concealer in Peach (they have a darker peach if you have darker skin) and I’ll usually apply right under my eyes bringing the color up through the sides of my nose and the corner of my eyes. I’ll also use it on any dark marks left over from acne. I will then apply my BareSkin Concealer (shade: Fair) which is a nice creamy consistency on top of that. It sounds like an unneeded step, but I promise you it’s worth it. Try it on one eye and take a look at the difference in some good lighting. You can send me a thank you card later!
– Time for a little bronze! I love Laura Geller’s Baked Bronzer (shade: Deep) without a hint of shimmer! It’s a really nice matte color and another product where a little goes a long way. I apply to the tops of my cheeks and bring down in through my neck and chest.
– For a daytime brow look, I love using a powder which is a little more natural looking and less bold than a pencil for me. I’ve been using Urban Decay’s Brow Box for years and am currently using the darker shade from the Honeypot box.
– Since I have eyelash extensions, my eye makeup is very minimal (that’s the perk). If I need a little definition, I love using Marc Jacobs Eyeliner in shades Earth(Quake) & In The Buff. The second shade actually acts as a highlighter and I love using it in the corner of my eyes to help brighten them.
– Using the Urban Decay Contour Palette in (shade: Streak), I lightly contour my face for a little pop. I’m not going to go over my full routine, but you can check out THIS POST for exact directions here. I do this every single time I put on makeup. It’s a lot less intimidating than it sounds!
– I start off using SkinCeuticals Cleanser to remove any dirt/makeup from the day.
– 3 days a week, I will apply a pea size amount of SkinCeuticals Retinol Cream (I use 1.0 but would recommend the 0.5 if you haven’t tried one before). Instead of applying on my whole face (it’s very drying), I concentrate on the parts of my face that need a little help — usually laugh lines, my chin (for post acne marks), and my forehead.
– While that’s drying (and working its magic), I apply the Trish McEvoy Beauty Booster Advanced Repair Eye Duo — this is two steps and has worked wonders for my eyes. I start by applying a few drops of the serum on to my ring fingers and pat it around my entire eye (including the lid). After it dries for a few seconds, I use the retinol eye cream and repeat the same motions. I’ve been using the duo for about a year and have definitely noticed a difference in fine lines (crows feet), puffiness, and undereye circles. FYI, if you want to buy (and I highly recommend), definitely purchase the set. If you purchase them separately, they can run around $225 for both, so it definitely makes sense to purchase the duo set together to get a pretty big savings!
– I then apply 4-5 drops of the SkinCeuticals Hyaluronic Acid Intensifier to my fingers and work into my face, neck, and chest. This serum really boosts the effects of the moisturizer because it actually works to amplify skin’s hyaluronic acid levels. Hyaluronic acid naturally occurs in the skin and plays an important role in maintaining moisture— something I was missing in my skincare routine and it’s been a game changer ever since.
– After that dries, I apply my moisturizer. I’m a huge fan of La Mer but find it a little heavy this time of year — although, I will break it out if my face gets too much sun or feels dry. For summer, I’ve been loving the SkinCeuticals Triple Lipid Restore 2:4:2 cream.
– I don’t forget my neck! I apply the StriVectin Tightening Neck Cream (the light version) to my neck and chest — which came highly recommended to me from a friend who works in beauty PR.
– When I need a little something extra, I love using these Philosophy microdelivery triple acid peel pads which help improve skin tone and skin radiance. I try to use at least once a week (sometimes two) depending on how much my skin could use a little brightening. I also love using the Clinique City Block Purifying Charcoal Clay Mask after traveling or overindulging — it seriously makes your skin look amazing the next morning (even if you had a little too much fun).